Thursday, October 16, 2014

Our Newest Addition - Birth Day Story

August 7th started as every other day during August had started for me this year, hoping that the baby would have made her appearance that night.  No such luck again.  At this point I had started to think that it might be better if she waited until after my sister's wedding, especially if she waited another week!  That morning I had another midwife appointment scheduled and was hoping that a membrane sweep would push me over the edge.  I had been having noticeable contractions all morning, but of course they stopped once I got to my appointment, I was severely disappointed!

After the appointment, we decided we'd finally get some biscuits at the famous biscuits place near the midwives...anything to keep my mind off the fact that baby M was still staying put!  While standing and waiting for our food the contractions came back, it must have been funny for the other patrons to behold...though no one said anything to me, they just smiled awkwardly!  By 2 pm I knew the 7th was the day, but was sure it would be at least a few more hours.  Even though it felt a little early, I called my cousin to come watch N so she could beat rush hour traffic.  Next I called the midwife for the same reason, but she thought I'd have a few more hours and so she told me she'd be there in about an hour.

My cousin arrived a little less than an hour later and started distracting N, no one got a nap that afternoon so we were all grumpy.  My dad then heads out to get some food for the long night ahead of all of us.  The midwife arrived at 3:15 when I was in the middle of believing I couldn't do it again.  (I now know I was almost done, but at the time I was still imaging hours ahead of me...)  Next thing I know, as the midwife was unloading her supplies (with only 1 of the 3 midwives there), I pop and she is coming.  Two pushes later at 3:31 she had joined the world.  She had great apgars of 9 and 10, way to go girl!

...Then my dad got home with the snacks...  It all happened so quick and right after lunch, no one ate anything.  The rest of the midwives showed up and then they left about 2 hours later and we were a family of 4.  She has been a wonderful addition to the Streetts and I'd like to think she is happy to have joined us!




No comments:

Post a Comment