Thursday, June 18, 2015

On Our Way "Home"

M and I are sitting at the Portland airport waiting for our 11:59 flight to Houston that is now scheduled for 12:40 pm.  We came early because we couldn't figure out what else to do at home and it also lets my sister and brother-in-law get to bed at a reasonable time after being our gracious hosts part of the week!

It has been a bittersweet visit.  My mother's health has been on a gradual, yet significant decline for the past few months, including 2 or 3 serious health events.  One of these happened early last week, which is what prompted this visit.  Each time something happens, we never know if she'll recover...though recover is a strong word, she never really recovers, she just comes back enough to know she is still in there, but her quality of life is poor these days.  I won't go into details, but it is very hard to see her in this condition.  I'm glad I went this week, it was hard, but I'm glad I went.  We all wonder if it'll be the last time I see her alive.  I'm still processing that thought and what that really means...

On the bright side, M has been a great traveling companion!  She is pretty tired (though currently not sleeping) and seems to have had a good time.  She has been practicing her walking and is now almost a pro!  Dad, N, the nanny and the housekeeper will be very impressed by the tutoring I did!  The photos are stolen from my sister from FB:




No comments:

Post a Comment